I’m currently enrolled in the Rouxbe Plant Based Professional Course and this past weeks assignment was to create a raw dish. I decided to try my hand at making a raw pierogi and was pleasantly surprised at the result! While they resemble more of a mini taco than a traditional Pierogi, the combination of beets, green onions, and dill is as Ukrainian as it can get!
- 2 Medium Beets – Peeled and thinly sliced using a mandolin or a sharp knife
- 1/4 Cup of Red Wing Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Cold Pressed Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Dill – Roughly chopped
- 1 Cup of Raw Cashews – Soaked for 3-4 hours
- 1/2 Cup of Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 1/4 Cup of Dill – Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup of Green Onion – Finely Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a shallow dish add sliced beets, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and dill. Allow to marinate for 1-2 hours to soften the beet slices. They need to be pliable to wrap around the filling.
- In a food processor, add the soaked cashews, sunflower seeds, garlic, and lemon juice. Pulse to combine. Add small amounts of water and continue pulsing until you have a course but combined consistency.
- Transfer nut mixture to a bowl and fold in the dill, green onions, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once the beet slices are pliable transfer them to a cutting board allowing the excess marinade to drip off prior to transferring.
- Add 1-2 tsp of filling (depending on the size of the beet slices) and fold over. You can completely cover the filling for a more traditional pierogi look or partially cover to showcase the filling.
- Arrange on a plate and drizzle with vegan sour cream.
- For additional topping you can add chopped green onions and coconut bacon!
I hope you enjoy this dish! Let me know what you think in the comments.