Pizza, pierogies, and spice. What more could you possibly want? Well aside from pairing this pizza with an ice cold beer. Prior to going plant based one of our favourite pizzas was the Spicy Pierogi Pizza from Boston Pizza and while Boston Pizza has been testing vegan cheese at various locations they do not offer any other vegan alternatives such as the bacon and sour cream on this pizza.
We decided to re-create the Spicy Pierogi Pizza using completely plant based ingredients. No its not super healthy but yes it is super good.
- Pizza Dough
- Vegan Mozza Cheese (store bought or use the mozza recipe from The Buddhist Chef)
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 2-3 Tbsp of Simulate Bacon Bits
- Vegan Sour Cream (store bought or use this recipe from Oh She Glows)
- 2-3 Russet Potatoes
- Cayenne Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thinly slice potatoes into discs. Place into a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and about 1 tsp of cayenne pepper. You can adjust the level of spice by adding more or less cayenne.
- Place potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake from about 15-minutes or until they start to crisp. Keep watch as they can go from starting to crisp to starting on fire quite quickly! Remove from oven and turn heat up to 500 degrees.
- Press or roll out pizza dough into 2-3 like sized circles. Place onto baking pans.
- Spread 2-3 Tbsp of sour creams over the crust. Sprinkle some vegan cheese onto the sour cream.
- Evenly lay cooked potatoes onto the sour cream.
- Evenly sprinkle a generous amount of vegan mozza onto the potatoes. If using The Buddhist Chef mozza recipe I like to freeze it first and then grate it onto the pizza. I find this gets the best coverage for this style of pizza.
- Sprinkle simulate bacon bits onto the pizza.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven.
- Slice pizza into 8 slices. Sprinkle green onions onto the pizza and add a dollop of sour cream to the center of the pizza.